TPT TPT BlogLovin' Image Map

August 2, 2017

Making Growth Mindset A Reality In Your Classroom

Likely you've heard about growth mindset, but may not know what it actually is, or just don't know how to instill it in your students. Last year I encountered the concept of growth mindset, and let me tell you…it is life changing.




     Growth mindset is the idea that people should want to improve for the sake of improving. Just because you are getting hundreds doesn't mean that you are a great student, and just because you are getting C's doesn't mean that you aren't. A truly impressive person is one who keeps trying in the face of adversity.

                Last year, when I spent the first two weeks of school focusing on growth mindset, there was a noticeable difference in the way my class ran from previous years. Students were more likely to push themselves to do better and go further, as well as to encourage their peers to do the same. So how to implement a growth mindset focus in your own classroom?

Discuss growth mindset and give examples

I like to start with this activity as a hook. I don't give any directions, beyond telling my groups that they must sort their students from best to worst student, and be able to give a justification for their sort.





After students have completed their sort, tell them your answers. Explain to your students that your classroom is not about achievement, but about effort. If someone got an A with no effort, then you are less impressed than you would be by someone who worked hard for a C (and then make sure you walk the walk, too! Reward growth and effort, not achievement).

There are many famous examples of growth mindset in great people throughout history. You can get some from this great Ted Talk by Carol Dweck.

Practice Identifying Examples and Non-Examples of Growth Mindset

I use the following this activity (also available as task cards here!) to give my kids an opportunity to think about what growth mindset looks like, how to cultivate it, and what those with growth mindsets might think. This is a fun higher-order thinking activity that students can participate in during the first week of school (and a great chance to practice academic discussion skills!) Give each group a different situation and allow them to use their academic discussion skills to decide how to improve the outcomes and behaviors in each situation. I like to allow my kids to make posters to go with their ideas and present to the class. Then the posters can become part of our classroom decoration!

Reinforce the power of growth mindset all year long!

I use a modified version of Paul Solarz's "Thank You Points" from his excellent book Learn Like a Pirate: Empowering Students to Become Collaborative Leaders. Because I only have a 60-minute block, I do not have 20 minutes to give to having a daily, student-run meeting to determine our day's thank you points. What I do instead is divide my board into 5 sections:

Positive Actions
Thank You Points
Showed growth mindset

Stayed on-task

Showed politeness, respect,  and compassion for peers

Showed politeness, respect,  and compassion for adults

Showed politeness, respect,  and compassion for the environment


Once students reach 75 points (with at least 10 in each category), I give a small "thank you gift" to everyone in the class, to thank them for their time, their effort, and for making my days rewarding and enjoyable (Thank you gifts could be anything from lunch in the classroom to special pencils for everyone). This is one way to consistently remind the class of the importance of growth mindset.

Another way is to call out those students who are working hard and improving. Showcase their work on your student work board, move up their clips on your behavior chart, or do whatever it is that you do to make exceptional students feel special in your classroom.

Happy learning!


Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

The reading program that changed my view of reading programs

I have never been a fan of reading programs. Lacking in rigor, authenticity, and originality, the vast majority that I have seen turn teachi...